Posted by Timige, On 23 Jul, 2022 | Updated On 23 Jul, 2022 No Comments »
The first thing I want you to know is that there is no US soldiers base in Nigeria but there are some US soldiers on special assignment in Nigeria. Some US military men were in Nigeria in the past, some are here right now and some will be in future.
And if you want to know whether US soldiers are based in Nigeria because someone calling himself a US soldier in Nigeria is in a kind of online romance relationship with you then you are already in the net of a scammer and it will be good for you to block every channel of communication with the person before he drains you of your hard earned money.
The answer to this question is either “Yes” or “No” depending on your reason for asking.
No US Soldier in Nigeria Will Ask You for Money
Number one fact you must know is that no US soldier based in Nigeria will be in any internet romance relationship with you, asking for money on the reason that he is stranded. American soldiers are well taken care of everywhere they are in the world and they can never be short of welfare.
Story of stranded US Army in Nigeria is a new scam developed by fraudsters to get money from you. Please don’t send any money to any “US soldier” in Nigeria, be warned!
- No real deployed U.S. serviceman will ever ask you for money.
- The very few U.S. personnel deployed to Nigeria are not there in combat role, and they never cruise dating websites looking for love.
- US military personnel do NOT have their names affixed to their uniforms in reverse.
- WhatsApp, Hangouts, Kik, Facebook messenger and Instagram direct message are famous applications that romance scammers use. If you’ve talked to someone on one of these messaging apps and never heard their voice you probably a victim of a scam.
- American soldiers and their loved ones are not charged money to go on leave.
- No United State soldier is charged money for secure communications.
- U.S.A soldiers do not need permission to get married.
- US soldiers emails are in this format: email@example.com. Scammer can not fake U.S. military email
- American soldiers have medical insurance, which pays for their medical costs when treated at civilian health care facilities worldwide – family and friends do not need to pay their medical expenses
- U.S. military aircraft are not used to transport privately owned vehicles.
- U.S. Army financial offices are not used to help soldiers buy or sell items of any kind.
- Soldiers deployed to Combat Zones do not need to solicit money from the public to feed or house themselves or their troops
- Deployed American soldiers do not find large unclaimed sums of money and need your help to get that money out of the country.
There are US Soldiers in Nigeria
U.S. marines currently in Nigeria are about 50 assigned as staff officers to America Embassies in Nigeria. Apart from that US Marines, Small Special Force Unit have being sent to Nigeria as trainers in the past to train Nigeria army fighting Boko Haram. Boko Haram is a notorious Islamic terrorist group.
The US marines served in non-combatant roles and where not be allowed to fight against the Boko Haram terrorists.
We can’t tell you the exact number of US military personnel are in Nigeria, and that number is really not something you can easily get, I can guess an estimate based on their mission.
They aren’t that many in Nigeria as in Afghanistan or Germany (almost 40,000). Both countries have a certain number of US military personnel far higher than Nigeria, though for different reasons. For one, US soldiers are deployed in Afghanistan, and the US has military bases in Germany since world war 2.
Nigeria has non of that. I doubt there is any American soldier on active duty in Nigeria besides those in the embassy or some other secret mission which isn’t made public to Nigerians and Americans alike.
US troops were training the Nigerian Ranger Unit for counter insurgency opps in Nigeria.
How ever the US Troops doing combat training were pulled out back in Dec 2014, because of, allegedly, “America’s reluctance to share real-time intelligence with the Nigerian military and refusal to sell Cobra helicopters to Nigeria”.
The US did in 2015 deploy between 100 and 350 troops (the numbers are constantly inconsistent) to Cameroon next door to Nigeria to fight Boko Haram.
The US did also say it had deployed military advisers to Mali (also bordering Nigeria) at the request/invitation of the Mali Govt after AQI of Maghreb allied with Tuareg Nationalists took control of the country but the numbers are unclear, it was a French lead response called Operation Serval, with US expertise limited Bambako.
Are There Combat U.S. Soldiers in Nigeria Now?
Outside of the Marine Security Detachment and the Defense Attaché Office at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja and Lagos there are no U.S. troops, ships or planes based in Nigeria. From time to time various training teams (of approximately 2 dozen personnel) have been sent to Nigeria in the past.
There may be deployment of US soldiers to Nigeria in future as Nigeria is part of Africa countries in the United State Africa Command program
Source: Nigeria World Today
Do you have question or opinion about this post? Make it in the comment below.
Please Share with Your Friends/Followers
Get Current with Nigeria, Subscribe Now!
Previous Post: « Where is Nigeria on the Map